Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Richard Kinsella's queer, 21st century sistah

That digression business got on my nerves. I don't know. The trouble with me is, I like it when somebody digresses. It's more interesting and all. - Catcher in the Rye, Ch. 24

This isn't my favorite Holden quote; and, to be honest, it's not Jerome David Salinger's most beautifully phrased thought. But I always liked the idea--poor Richard Kinsella should be allowed to talk about his uncle's goddam farm if he feels like it, and people should quit shouting "Digression!" at him in Holden's Oral Expressions class just 'cause he slips off topic.

Here's my actual favorite Holden quote:

He put my goddam paper down then and looked at me like he'd just beaten hell out of me in ping-pong or something. - Catcher, Ch. 2

I've gotten that look from a few people before. But I digress.

I've been hesitant to start a blog, even though all the cool kids are doin' it (or were doing it. . .like myspace, it's a little worn out at this point), because I have enough trouble keeping my goddam private life to myself. If you hold a conversation for more than 12.6 seconds with me, I'm suddenly going over the details of my latest, biggest crush with you--what do you think, no I mean, really.

But I'm not letting anyone know about this blog, so hopefully I'll get the patio space to write anonymously for a year before picking up 12 loyal transgender Bengali dwarf readers living in exile in Tibet.

But I have a few goals for this space.
1) I'd like to explore a few details of my life without fear of backlash from LA-based friends and lovers. (There are so many of them!)
2) I'd like to bone up my writing skills, which used to be stellar and are now a little too (overly) reliant on parentheses; I'm a big semi-colon abuser (as well).
3) I'd like to remember some nice goddam moments that happen to me.
4) And, of course, we'd like to free Tibet. Me and Richard Gere is all that country needs.

I want zero readers for 100 days--much like the free pass given to the President on his first 100 days in office. Until that time when we can actually dialogue, my Bengali lovers, I'll say peace and good night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home