Friday, April 21, 2006

The Slowdown

I blogged every day for a minute there, didn't I? Pretty prolific for someone whose site is still 100% reader-free.

I had a pretty uneventful week, which contributed to the slowdown. I did take the Metro Red Line to Hollywood & Highland to see the Dresden Dolls do an in-store show at the Virgin Megastore--an energetic performance (yaaaay) of only 6-7 songs (booooo), for a crowd overrun with...here's an email I wrote:

...the crowd was overrun with very sincere, very eyeliner-wearing emo boys with black hair in their eyes and skinny jeans on their hips. One kid kept miming the drumming and piano playing, because he just couldn't help himself.

So I did venture out. But I actually had to pull out my organizer to see what else I did this week.

This is OK; my social life tends to swing up and down, like the old Dragon Swing ride at Knott's Berry Farm. Some weeks I'm going out so much that my head's spinning, and I'll think, God! I'm popular; I'll start to complain, Paris Hilton-style, about the demands placed on me. Other weeks the phone quits ringing and I'm in my house with Ferdinand the cat, eating ground-turkey Sloppy Joe's, wondering where the hell is everybody?

(By the way, no pseudonym for Ferdinand the cat--he was, is, and always will be.)
If I'm in a healthy mood when such slowdowns hit, I start to work out more. If I'm emotionally needy, I start to call my phone list in alphabetical order, seeing what they're up to. Usually, they're up to nothing ("Um, I was just paying my gas bill..."), but I'm always suspicious that somebody's out there having a fabulous time. Or even a miserable time--but something! I can't stand when nothing's going on.

My therapist recently informed me, "You kind of like drama." That's why I pay him the big bucks, folks. But I sort of knew this already--you can see it in my track record of who I'd like to kiss. I admitted it Monday night to a girl I'm dating, who quickly answered, "That's it--get out of my bed. Right now." We can all hope she was kidding, but she's a sweet girl (with a breathtakingly level head on her shoulders), and I hate to think I'm bringing any bad vibes to the scene. Mostly I'm just too analytical for my own good, which happens to anybody. Errr...right?

So tomorrow we will run faster, Gatsby, stretch out our arms further...Two birthday parties this weekend, as well as an outlet shopping trip to Barbazon. (Cabazon, whatever.) And an illustration teacher at my work just informed me that his girlfriend dreamed we'd have a major earthquake on Sunday--so there's that to look forward to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home